Gluten free chocolate cupcakes filled with chocolate ganache and watermelon bites
Made from simple everyday ingredients, this easy cupcake recipe will be your new favourite. This is a solid base recipe that serves as a jumping off point for many others. Today’s chocolate cupcakes are for true chocolate fans. I’m talking about those of you who don’t qualify an item as dessert unless there’s chocolate involved.
Yields 12 regular cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes
Ingredients For cupcakes
1) 6 oz of Gluten free flour
2) 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3) 1 tsp baking powder
4) 1/2 tsp salt
5) 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
6) 1/8 tsp baking soda
7) 1 cup of sugar
8) 2/3 cup of sour cream
9) 6 tbs of oil (vegetable or coconut oil is fine)
10) 2 large eggs
For the frosting:
(Note: This will yield enough frosting for 12 big cupcakes, if you want to fill them inside maybe add an extra half of the following ingredients and mix the same)
- 8oz cream cheese of your preference.
- 6 tbs of unsalted butter, cut in piece and at room temperature
- 1 tbs milk (whole, 2%, almond, soy or coconut milk is fine)
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- a dash of salt (optional)
- 1 cups of powder sugar
- Preheat oven at 350F or 170C degrees.
- Line your cupcake tray with paper or foil liners.
- In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients except sugar: Flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum & baking soda.
- In another bowl whisk sugar, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until well combined.
- Add slowly the dry ingredients mix and whisk until it’s well combined and looks smooth.
- Now fill with the mix each of the liners until they are full up to 3/4 of the whole size, make sure they are all consistent in portion.
- Set the cupcake tin in the center of the oven rack and let the cupcakes bake between 16–20 minutes.
- If your oven doesn’t bake evenly make sure to rotate the tray halfway the baking time.
- You’ll know the cupcakes are ready when you insert a toothpick in the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean.
- Pull out from the oven and let the cool for at least 10 minutes.
Preparing the frosting:
- While your cupcakes are baking make sure to first sift the powder sugar to make sure the texture will be smooth
- 2. In a bowl with a stand mixer (if you have one, otherwise a hand mixer is just fine as well) mix at a high speed the sugar, milk, vanilla and the cream cheese until smooth.
- 3. Lower the speed of the mixer and add slowly the sugar, mix it all until smooth for 1 to 2 minutes.
When the cupcakes have cooled down, feel free to frost them right away, otherwise if you aren’t in a cool kitchen, make sure to set aside your frosting in the fridge for a little bit so it doesn’t get overly soft, add decoration toppings as you please :)